Ustica. The first name of Ustica was Osteodes that in Greek means ossuary and it was so defined because there have been found skeletons of 6.000 Carthaginan soldiers. Then the isle was peopled by Romans who called it Ustum that means burned because of its black volcanic cliffs. Normans built a benedectine monastery and it has been in their possession until the XIV century when it was occupied by Saracens. In the following four centuries it has been fortress of pirates until 1763 when it became seat of Borboni family. In the 1763 arrived in Ustica from Palermo a contingent of soldiers and laborers, that they began the construction of fortifications on the hill..
(Visited 61 times, 1 visits today)